These people do actually exist. Although they are extremely thin on the ground. So qualities for a good mentor?
- Accepting - stop trying to change the student's personality already
- Open - please don't brush the student off, we are well aware that we are only in your life for a matter of weeks but your attitude will stay with us forever
- Honest - tell us if we are crap, we NEED to know
- Timely - this goes with honest, tell us NOW so it can be corrected
- Good at your job - goes without saying that crap nurse = crap student (or similar, crap teacher = crap outcome)
- Kind - we're not looking for flowers and chocolates but a pat on the back would be nice
Bad mentors are everywhere. You really have to ask yourself how have these people managed to forget what it was like to be a student in the first place? Even as a new staff nurse? Surely they can remember their first days on the wards... Apparently.
Must be like childbirth. Eventually the memory of the pain you suffered fades. If someday that happens to me promise that someone with offer up a metaphorical slap?