I've been messing around with my shepherd's pie recipe. Well I say recipe I was making it up to begin with.
- Using sweet potato instead of Maris Piper potatoes. Actually I think I mix of the two works well, cos the sweet potato can be quite fibrous and doesn't spread so well
- I've used beef, lamb and turkey mince. Beef reminds me of chewing little bits of plastic and I won't tell you what I think boiled mince smells like. Lamb was nice but the turkey was the best yet, mmm soft and tender.
- Cornflour to thicken the gravy. Old trick yes but I can't stand it being too runny, besides it holds up better when you're trying to serve it.
- Last night I ran out of my usual carrots so I used chestnut mushrooms. I prefer that to carrots.
- Caramelise the onions before browning the mince, then you can taste them in the gravy.
Next week: Cookies!