Tuesday 27 May 2008

Shepherd's Pie

I've been messing around with my shepherd's pie recipe. Well I say recipe I was making it up to begin with.

  • Using sweet potato instead of Maris Piper potatoes. Actually I think I mix of the two works well, cos the sweet potato can be quite fibrous and doesn't spread so well
  • I've used beef, lamb and turkey mince. Beef reminds me of chewing little bits of plastic and I won't tell you what I think boiled mince smells like. Lamb was nice but the turkey was the best yet, mmm soft and tender.
  • Cornflour to thicken the gravy. Old trick yes but I can't stand it being too runny, besides it holds up better when you're trying to serve it.
  • Last night I ran out of my usual carrots so I used chestnut mushrooms. I prefer that to carrots.
  • Caramelise the onions before browning the mince, then you can taste them in the gravy.
You can guess what I've been eating over the last few weeks. Granted I've fed my flatmates a few times too.
Next week: Cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shelfari

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog