There's this odd jump I've apparently not made yet from student nurse to real nurse and this is what has caused the problems over the last couple of weeks.
2nd Year Students....
- Do everything while being watched, e.g. dressings, running IVs, paperwork, etc.
- Do all the work of a CSW / auxiliary nurse
- Can do dressings / paperwork / referrals / ward rounds without being watched
- Can do drug rounds with minimal supervision (we still need the signatures and observation till qualified)
- Can work on their own without constant prompting / suggestions / support
- Are essentially mini nurses
Things I can do....
- Dressings / running IVs / direct patient care
- Some of the day-to-day paperwork / some of the admit/discharge paperwork (and I can't do it fast enough)
- Finding things to be done and doing them if I can
- Finding things that don't seem to be right but apparently are
- Dragging doctors to patients when they need them
More to follow....... when I find some answers.